Pregnancy may cause an acne-prone skin to see a worsening of the condition. However, being pregnant cannot be the sole indicator if one will have a skin flare up or not. Many still claim that they experience less of the phenomenon, so it is really difficult to tell. Needless to say, if you plan to get pregnant or are even in the early phase of pregnancy, you need to make sure you are well acquainted with how to maintain a healthy skin. If you already have, at least know how to manage the condition without harming the baby inside your womb.
What causes acne?
During this crucial period of your life, your body experiences an elevated hormone level. The particular hormone that is said to trigger an acne breakout is called an androgen. As the hormone level increases, the skin secretes more sebum through the sebaceous glands. Sebum, which is an oily substance, combine with the dead skin cells found on your hair follicles and block the pores of your skin. This area becomes a perfect space for toxins and bacteria to multiply. Inflammation soon folows then advances to become a flare out.
Is there a specific period of the pregnancy when acne can seem to occur?
Pregnancy, as well as skin experts, indicate that there is no specific time when acne and acne flare-up may occur. The degree of the condition may also be different with each woman and in any of the pregnancy phase. It goes without saying that any expecting mom needs to be totally prepared just in case the condition starts to appear or worsen.
Having any skin imperfection can take away the joy of pregnancy in most women. Fortunately, there are several ways that you can do to manage the skin problem, even prevent it from appearing.
There pregnancy acne products available that you can use to address acne build-up. However, you should always be careful with the products that you choose to treat your condition. Always take note of any unnecessary and harmful ingredients that may be hiding in the contents of every product container that you see on the shelf.
You also need to consider these simple skin tips to make sure that your skin will be free from any bacteria build-up that may cause your skin to flare up:
- Use a mild soap to wash off your face and body twice a day.
- Use your hands to clean your skin thoroughly. Scrubbing is never advisable as it may irritate the skin and worsen the condition.
- Pat your skin to dry instead of rubbing it with a towel or cloth.
- Use a gentle moisturizer that is oil-free to prevent toxins from clogging the pores of your skin.
- Don’t try pop or squeeze out whatever deposit you see on the pores of your skin. Doing so will just aggravate the condition.
- If you would try to conceal the acne building up on your face or on any part of your skin, make sure that you pick only those products that are water-based. Oil-based products may clog your skin pores. If the label says, “noncomedogenic”, it is safe.
- Don’t let your face be a breeding ground of bacteria and toxins. Remove any trace of make up on your skin before you go to bed.
- If you are still confused whether to use or not to use a specific product, or whether to use a combination of products, always consult your doctor.
- Hydrate regularly. Drink sufficient amount of water to keep your skin hydrated.
- Ask your physician for an exercise routine you can do to flush out toxins lurking underneath your skin through perspiration.
- For severe conditions, consult your physician for the right oral medication you may need to take to treat the skin problem.
- Eat the right food.
- Have enough rest.
- Enjoy your pregnancy. There were be a lot of setbacks during this period. The best approach to ensure a happy one is to have a joyful disposition at all times.
- Talk to your significant other. Allowing your partner to take an active participation in addressing emotional burden will make you feel better. Later on, you may even forget about it.
It may take a while before you can fully adjust to your current condition. Stay calm. Remember that all these unnatural conditions normally goes away once the baby is born. Always look at the bright side. It will make the journey to pregnancy easier.